Life in West Boylston
On the small triangle of grass in front of the library sits the Beaman Watering Trough. We’ve mentioned the trough in past posts. Maj. Ezra Beaman, Esq., our Town Founder, placed it in 1808 outside Beaman Tavern in the shade of a buttonwood tree. According to local legend, Ezra filled the trough with rum punch and threw a big bash at his tavern when West Boylston officially became a town.
The photo on the right shows the inscription on the watering trough as it looks today. At the top is a carving of the Beaman Oak. The writing reads: “E. B. Esq., Sept. 10 A.D. 1808.” Also visible on the left is the spigot protruding from the stone.
Thanks to Rob Smith, local historian and photographer, for this great photograph. Learn more about Ezra Beaman on the Town Founder’s page.
To read more about the people and places of early West Boylston follow the links below or from the menu on the left.
Town Government and